The Health Dangers of Basement Mold
Mold can easily make itself at home in your basement walls. While we can’t see mold spores, they can easily make their way into our bodies and can cause a wide range of illnesses. Below, we examine the health dangers of basement mold and how you can prevent mold from growing in your home.
Although many people feel fine when exposed to trace amounts of mold, the spores can trigger headaches, coughs, eye irritation, runny noses, skin rashes, and other uncomfortable symptoms. Whether you have mild or severe symptoms, allergies are never fun to deal with—especially if you’re escaping from outdoor triggers only to be met with indoor ones.
If you’re having trouble breathing, mold occupying your living space could be the cause. It’s notorious for aggravating asthma symptoms, such as persistent coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath. People can even have extreme asthma attacks from mold. You may already have trouble managing your asthma, so don’t let mold make it worse.
As you may already know, mold is a type of fungus, and your body can easily absorb or inhale it. Therefore, if you’re near mold, there’s a possibility that you could get an infection. People diagnosed with conditions that weaken the immune system are at high risk for fungal infections.
Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis is a severe condition you can contract in reaction to mold. Typically, people experience flu-like symptoms and lung inflammation. While few people develop this disorder, it’s important to recognize if you have hypersensitivity pneumonitis as soon as possible—leaving it untreated can result in lung scarring.
If you expose yourself to toxic molds, such as black mold, you could contract another serious disease—pulmonary hemosiderosis. It’s a rare disorder that causes your lungs to bleed. It can even cause anemia, kidney damage, and lung disease. Children primarily develop this disease, so it’s crucial that your basement is mold-free and safe for the whole family.
As you can see, the health dangers of mold in a basement can be detrimental. To prevent the aforementioned health hazards, control the moisture in your living space. Mold thrives in dark, damp places, which is why your basement specifically may suffer from an infestation. Here are few ways to keep your basement dry:
- Direct gutters and downspouts away from your home
- Make sure the appliances in your basement vent outdoors
- Purchase a dehumidifier
- Remove any carpet and invest in tile
- Repair foundation cracks and plumbing leaks