A number of students from Western Wyoming Community College, including two from Kemmerer, recetly placed well in the Wyoming Skills USA competition, held in Casper in April.
Aiden Runnion and Aaron Ortiz, both from Kemmerer, along with Hunter Gross of Mountain View, finished as runner0up in Welding Fabrication.
Additional placers from WWCC include:
- First Place for High Point Chapter – This award was based on Western’s skill students GPAs, interview skills, and growth of the chapter
- First Place for Welding Sculpture – Danial Guymon
- Second Place for Welding Individual – Sheenan Archuletta
- Second Place for Mechatronics – team consisted of Tristen Heslep and Gregory Sherwin, and alternate Jerry Starner
- Third Place for Early Childhood Education – Jessica Lang
SkillsUSA will be sending the gold-medal-winning student, Daniel Guymon, to Atlanta to participate in the SkillsUSA Nationals held from June 19-23 for his Welding sculpture. Western’s SkillsUSA director and professor of Welding Jake Mannikko expressed his gratitude that the school continues to be at the forefront in the state in fields of trade, technical skills, and industry.
According to WWCC, the competition was a three-day event in which college and high school students from around the state compete for a chance to go to the national championship. SkillsUSA is a national organization dedicated to developing the country’s workforce through personal, workplace, and technical skills. During the Wyoming SkillsUSA Championship, competitions are held for career and technical education students.
SkillsUSA serves more than 300,000 middle school, high school, and college students annually, with 4,000 local chapters. The organization’s framework contributes to students being job-ready after graduation because participants have a better understanding of what employers want in an employee.
If you’re interested in pursuing one of these careers join us this fall. Registration is now open and closes August 23. Do not miss your spot. Register today at westernwyoming.edu/apply!